• Mon - Sat 8:00 - 6:30, Sunday - CLOSED

Locked up in November: The criminals jailed in Greater Manchester last month

Locked up in November: The criminals jailed in Greater Manchester last month

A county lines drugs gang, a man who filmed himself raping a woman and a 'global warming' protester - these are the criminals dealt with in Greater Manchester’s courts in October.

Dozens of offenders were hauled before the courts to face judges and magistrates for all kinds of crimes.

One prisoner was prosecuted for threatening to kill a Manchester judge in a 'slow and painful way'.

An open, transparent criminal justice system is an important part of how our democracy works - so we make no apologies for devoting so much time to letting you know what happens in our courts.

MEN reporters cover some of the most serious cases each week - and here is our round-up for the last month.

These are the criminals locked up in Greater Manchester in November:

The county lines drugs gang who trafficked kids as young as 13 to sell crack and heroin

Ryan Wall recruited and used three vulnerable children from Greater Manchester to sell crack cocaine and heroin in Blackpool.

His co-conspirator, Christopher Thornton, also used a child as a runner to peddle Class A drugs and had his own side operation selling from a separate phone line.

Both men admitted modern slavery offences after exploiting the children for their drugs enterprise.

One teenager was trafficked from Tameside up to the resort town by Claire Daniels - who ferried them to and from in her Audi A1.

Wall, 24, controlled a telephone line known as the ‘Bones’ line to arrange deals, take drugs orders and instruct his young foot soldiers.

Another phone line - known as the ‘Trigga’ line - was run separately by Thornton, 20, and netted an estimated £95,700 over two months.

The gang were also helped by heroin addict Leigh Sledden, 38, who let children controlled by Wall stay at his Blackpool home.

Wall and Thornton, 20, were jailed for nine years and eight years respectively.


Daniels, 36, admitted ferrying a child to and from Tameside and Blackpool and was spared jail by Judge Lawton, who was convinced her involvement was caused by a ‘desperation’ for money.

Sledden also walked free from court after admitting participating in the activities of an organised crime group.

The judge said he was convinced both Daniels and Sledden had been ‘used’ by Wall and Thornton to further the drug dealing enterprise.

The dealer who blasted a rival with a shotgun as they sat in his mum’s car

Vincenzo De Falco was locked up for more than 11 years after blasting a love rival in the leg with a shotgun, as they both sat in his mum's Mercedes.

De Falco's mum Patricia Dean then took the NHS-leased car to be professionally cleaned, in a failed attempt to get rid of the evidence.

Dean, 59,was jailed for 18 monthsin September after being found guilty of assisting an offender.

At the Bolton Nightingale Court last week, De Falco, 30, was sentenced to 11 years and three months, having previously pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent and supplying cannabis.

A series of victim impact statements heard by the court laid bare the devastating effect that the shooting has had on the victim.

After several hospital appointments and 56 hours of surgery, the decision was made to amputate the man's left leg below the knee.


The man also said he has had suicidal thoughts and had to give up activities that he loved such as football, jogging and cycling.

The court heard that De Falco, of Kebroyd Lane,Sowerby Bridge , has no previous convictions for violence but has previous convictions for possession of an axe and possession of an imitation firearm.

Arsonist caught fleeing after hurling petrol bomb at house

CCTV footage showed the moment an arsonist threw a petrol bomb at the front door of his victim's home.

Sajid Hamid, 49, of Sandringham Street, Gorton, was jailed for eight and a half years after being found guilty of serious domestic-related reckless arson.

The footage shows him dressed in a hoody as he walks up to the front of the property.

Moments later a flash can be seen as the petrol bomb explodes and Hamid runs back down the path.

No-one was in the house at the time of the attack, in the early hours of July 19, 2019, the court heard.


But the petrol bomb caused extensive damage, both inside and outside the property.

The victim has been granted an indefinite restraining order against Hamid.

Drug dealer who hit woman with man bag containing a gun he threw out of a car

A drug dealer being chased by police threw a man bag containing a gun out of a car, hitting a woman minding her own business on the street.

Kasper Sims, 26, was in a car speeding through the streets of Moss Side when he tried to get rid of the bag, which also contained bullets.

The man bag hit a woman on the leg.

As she looked inside, she made the shocking discovery that it contained a real gun.

She realised it was real because of how heavy it was and was said to be 'scared and shocked' at the discovery.

The woman called police, and hid the gun under her jacket because she didn't want to draw attention to herself.


Sims, of Western Circle, Burnage, pleaded guilty to possession of a prohibited weapon, possession of ammunition without a firearm certificate, and two counts of possession with intent to supply class A drugs.

He was jailed for eight-and-a-half years.

Activist jailed over one-man 'global warming' protest

An activist who assaulted security guards while staging a one-man 'global warming' protest at a city centre hotel was jailed for 30 weeks.

Richard Bango tried to put up a banner about global warming and damage to the planet at the Rothschild & Co Hotel on King Street.

The 43-year-old, from Eccles, assaulted two security guards in the fracas - injuring one who was 'close to retirement'.

He pleaded guilty to assaulting two security guards and causing £500 worth of damage to window panels, the main reception area and a further £100 of damage to the floor as well as using threatening behaviour towards two members of staff.

Unemployed Bango, of Liverpool Road, Eccles, also admitted assaulting two security guards, and was in breach of a suspended prison sentence imposed on him in January.


Andrew Marsh, defending, said Bango's actions were a protest against environmental damage to the planet.

Bango was sentenced to a total of 30 weeks behind bars and ordered to pay compensation of £100 each to the two security guards.

Sign up to the free MEN email newsletter

Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter

You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here

Convicted rapist who became abusive towards prison officer he got pregnant

A prison officer who became 'obsessed' with a convicted rapist after they met in jail started an 'intense' relationship after he was released and became pregnant with his child.

Kade Sibthorpe, 29, quickly became violent and abusive towards her, even allegedly punching her in the stomach while she was pregnant, and taking her on a 'drive up to the moors'.

The pregnancy was later terminated, and she claimed she had lost her baby as a result of his actions.

But a court heard there was no medical evidence to support this and Sibthorpe was not prosecuted for it.

'Manipulative' Sibthorpe, from Salford, has now been jailed for controlling and coercive behaviour for his 'deplorable' behaviour over a four month period after he was released.


Sibthorpe, who was jailed for six years for raping a mum in her own home, was serving his sentence at HMP Bure in Norfolk, a jail housing sex offenders.

The pair met on a wing at the jail. She knew what he was in prison for and how long he was serving.

Sibthorpe, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to controlling and coercive behaviour and was jailed for 21 months. Alleged offences of kidnap and procuring a miscarriage were ordered to lie on file.

Man who threw loaded shotgun from car during police chase at Trafford Centre

A man threw a loaded sawn-off shotgun from his car in a dramatic police chase at the Trafford Centre - which came to an end after he smashed into two vehicles.

Daniel Murdoch, 41, was spotted by on duty cops driving through a red light and asked him to pull over.

Instead he did a u-turn and sped off in the opposite direction towards theTrafford Centrereaching speeds of 80mph in a 30mph zone, weaving in and out of traffic and driving through two more sets of red traffic lights.

At one stage he threw a bag out of the window - wherein officers later found a sawn-off shotgun and ammunition,Minshull Street Crown Courtheard.

The police pursuit came to an end when Murdoch attempted to squeeze through a gap between two cars causing extensive damage - and was later detained by members of the public and police.

Footage of his arrest was shared with the Manchester Evening News, which shows officers wrestling with a man in orange high-vis trousers and a grey vest in front of stunned shoppers and motorists at the Bridgewater Circle roundabout.


When his home was searched, officers found another firearm hidden in a bag of children’s toys.

Murdoch, ofReddish , pleaded guilty to having a loaded shotgun in a public place, possession of a prohibited firearm and ammunition and dangerous driving.

He was jailed for six-and-a-half years and banned from driving for six years and three months.

Audi driver who killed Salford student after downing 10 pints

A University of Salford student was killed by a drink driver as he walked to the shops.

David Turner drank 10 pints of lager and two shots before ploughing his Audi S3 into 19-year-old psychology student Gabriel Fields.

Turner, who was driving at speeds of up to 60mph in a 20mph zone, has been jailed for 10 years.

Preston Crown Court heard that Gabriel was struck by Turner's car as he walked to a local shop where he had a part-time job, at 10pm on July 4 2020.

Turner lost control on Station Road,Kirkham , and mounted the pavement, hitting Gabriel and sending him flying onto a nearby grassed area, before the car collided with a tree.

Gabriel suffered multiple serious injuries and died a short time later.


One of Turner’s passengers also suffered a number of serious injuries, while two other passengers suffered minor injuries.

Turner, 31, of Martin Avenue, Lytham, admitted one count of causing death by dangerous driving and one count of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

He has been jailed for 10 years and has been banned from driving for five years.

Two men found with a suitcase containing a quarter of a million pounds

Two men were jailed for drug supply and money laundering offences after being found with a suitcase containing a quarter of a million pounds.

Sebastjen Cepele, 30 and Aleksander Rapaj, 39, both currently of no fixed abode, appeared at Manchester Crown Court for sentencing.

The pair pleaded guilty to charges of possession with intent to supply class B drugs and money laundering.

The court heard how on February 13, 2021, police attended to a report of a group of men acting suspiciously in the car park of The Gallery apartments in Moss Side.

Officers attended but the men had left and so a search of the apartments was started.

Officers located two of the men in a corridor of the apartment and after chasing them on foot, Cepele was detained and found to have a suitcase on him containing cash believed to be worth around £250,000.

Rapaj was also located and detained later on that evening on Playfair Street, Moss Side, and a search of his address back at The Gallery apartments resulted in officers finding various items including a large quantity of cannabis, money, jewellery and equipment linked to the preparation of drugs.


During the investigation it also came to light that Cepele and Rapaj were both living in the UK illegally.

Cepele was sentenced to a total of 30 months with Rapaj sentenced to 20 months in prison.

They will be deported to Albania on completion of their sentences.

Jealous dad who murdered rival as woman at centre of love triangle looked on

A dad who stabbed a love rival to death with a pair of scissors during an early hours fight on a north Manchester estate has been jailed for life.

William Doleman, 27, inflicted a ‘constellation’ of injuries to Alan Murphy after challenging him to a fight on the Miner’s Estate, in Moston.

The ‘savage’ attack was witnessed by Lisa Hough - the mother of Doleman’s young daughter - who has also been jailed.

A judge said Hough - who was in a relationship with Mr Murphy - must have derived a “twisted pleasure” from being the centre of both men’s attentions.

In an attempt to help William Doleman cover his tracks, Hough went with him to Tesco to buy a new mobile phone and ‘posed’ as a couple with the pair holding hands in a scene captured on CCTV.

Doleman’s older brother, Grant Doleman, also tried to help the killer by misleading police at the beginning of their murder investigation.

He too has been jailed after admitting perverting the course of justice.

William Doleman, of Rossington Street, Newton Heath, was found guilty of murdering Alan Murphy by a Manchester Crown Court jury last month.

He was jailed for life and must serve a minimum of 24 years behind bars before he can be released on licence.


Lisa Hough, of Blandford Drive, Moston, was found guilty of assisting an offender, following a trial.

The judge jailed Hough for three and half years - half of which she will serve on licence.

Grant Doleman, 31, of Rossington Street, Newton Heath, pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice. He was jailed for 12 months.

Man who dragged woman into churchyard in attempted knifepoint sex attack

A man who dragged a woman into a churchyard, held a knife to her throat and tried to take her trousers off has been jailed.

The victim feared she would be raped and killed when Jonathan Kabala pulled her into some bushes on October 2 last year.

The 41-year-old preyed on the woman after spotting her walking alone in Bolton town centre.

He had been prowling the streets on the hunt for a victim just moments before the attack.

Kabala followed her along Silverwell Street before he struck just before 7am.

He later told police he left his home that morning with the intention of “finding a person to set upon”.


Horrifying CCTV footage showed Kabala run up behind the woman, grab her and drag her into the grounds of Bolton Parish Church.

He then pulled her into some bushes.

Kabala, of Chadwick Street, The Haulgh, held a knife to her neck and attempted to undo her trousers.

Kabala was jailed for six years and nine months.

Cocaine-fuelled mum who slept in stolen car then smashed into tree after police chase

A cocaine-fuelled mum led police on a terrifying high-speed chase through south Manchester.

Emma Ramsden, 39, drove a stolen car on the wrong side of a dual carriageway and swerved onto pavements on residential roads in Didsbury, Withington and Burnage.

Manchester Crown Court heard she purchased the Nissan Qashqai, which had been taken during a burglary some five days earlier, in order to sleep in it.

Whilst high on cocaine, she was spotted by an officer on patrol attempting a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre - nearly colliding with the oncoming police motorbike.

Prosecutor Claire Brocklebank told the court that a chase then ensued, which lasted for around 10 minutes before Ramsden lost control of the car and crashed into a tree.

Terrifying dashcam footage shows Ramsden driving on the wrong side of the A34 dual carriageway through Burnage and Didsbury, forcing oncoming cars to swerve out of the way.


The vehicle could also be seen driving at speeds of up to 60mph in residential areas, and mounting the pavement a number of times to evade police.

The court heard that the mum, who has a long history of drug addiction, has numerous previous convictions for driving offences, theft and dishonesty.

Ramsden, of Bury Road, Bolton, was jailed for 16 months after admitting dangerous driving, driving whilst unfit through drugs, driving a vehicle without insurance, handling stolen goods and driving without a licence.

Drug dealer jailed after cocaine found in 'yellow plastic egg' under his bed

A man was jailed after cops caught him with drugs on three separate occasions.

Jamie Kershaw committed the offences over a 23-month period, between October 2019 and September 2021, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

Police initially carried out a warrant at Kershaw's then-home in Sheffield Road,Hyde , on October 3, 2019.

Kershaw was 18 at the time and officers found snap bags of cannabis under his bed, along with a yellow plastic egg containing snap bags of cocaine.

A safe was also found, containing cash, digital scales, cannabis, several snap bags of cocaine and empty snap bags.

While on bail for that offence, on October 19, police stopped Kershaw's car in Canterbury Street,Ashton-under-Lyne .

A black mobile phone and more snap bags of cannabis were found in the car's glove compartment.


Almost two years later, Kershaw, now 20, was arrested at his home in King Street,Dukinfield , after breaching his bail conditions.

Another search of his home led police to find 33 snap bags of cannabis.

Kershaw was convicted of three counts of being in possession of a controlled drug and was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in a Young Offender Institution.

Mum who tried to strangle shop assistant with mop handle - and her shoplifter boyfriend

A mother-of-two attacked a shop assistant with a wooden mop handle after he bravely detained her boyfriend in a citizen's arrest.

Debra McGhee, 33, set about Adam Tongo when he chased and wrestled Bradley Jackson to the floor after the victim's car was vandalised.

During the frenzied assault, which was captured on CCTV, McGhee was seen repeatedly striking Mr Tongo about the head and body before attempting to throttle him with the mop.

Locked up in November: The criminals jailed in Greater Manchester last month

Mr Tongo, who had just arrived for his shift at a Shell service station inOldham , was left gasping for air and unable to breathe until a workmate intervened to rescue him.

The victim sustained various injuries and was left with temporary blurred vision and had to take four weeks off work as a result of the beating.

Police later detained McGhee and Jackson, also 33, and discovered both had a slew of previous convictions. Both had been recognised by Tongo as habitual shoplifters at the garage.


McGhee, of Werneth, Oldham was jailed for 21 months whilst Jackson, of Oldham town centre, was jailed for 26 months after being found guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm following a trial.

Jackson was also found guilty of criminal damage.

Speeding driver who killed ‘caring gentle giant’ as he crossed the road

A speeding driver who lost control of his car and killed a man on a mobility scooter has been jailed for four years.

Hanzah Yusuf, 21, was driving back from a social event at a mosque in Wigan when he ploughed into 53-year-old Michael Smith.

Manchester Crown Court heard that he was ‘racing’ through the streets with his brother, Noormohammed Yusuf.

A jury found Noormohammed Yusuf, who denied he was racing his brother, not guilty of causing the death of Mr Smith by dangerous driving and instead convicted him of dangerous driving.

Hanzah Yusuf pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

Rob Hall, prosecuting, said the brothers left the Masjid Tooba Islamic Centre in Wigan at around 8.48pm, both in separate cars, on February 28 2019.

“Noormohammed Yusuf was in front and Hanzah Yusuf was behind, they drove away at an average speed of 53 miles per hour in a 30 mile limit zone,” Mr Hall said.

“They continued at speed as they entered a right hand bend, Hanzah Yusuf lost control due to his speed and perhaps he was affected by the front offside tyre tread being below the legal limit.

“It was enough to cause the Zafira to leave the carriageway, crossing the Morton Road junction which was being crossed by Mr Smith.”


Mr Smith suffered 'severe external and internal injuries' which proved fatal.

Hanzah Yusuf, of Park Lane, was jailed for four years and disqualified from driving for five years and must take an extended retest.

Noormohammed Yusuf, also of Park Lane, was handed an 18 month community order, 200 hours unpaid work and was disqualified from driving for 18 months.

Driver who fled the country to escape justice after horror crash that left man needing both legs amputated

A passenger was forced to have his legs amputated after being ejected from a car in a horror smash.

Buhus Sorin-Mihai, fromWigan , fled the country to escape justice and had to be extradited from Romania before being jailed atBolton Crown Court .

The 20-year-old was driving a blue Volkswagen Polo along Walkden Avenue in July last year when he overtook a line of traffic waiting at a red traffic light.

Sorin-Mihai, of Barnsley Street, then went through the light and hit a Mercedes-Benz C220, which was driving through the junction.

Following the crash, the car which Sorin-Mihai was driving spun out of control before hitting into a second car - a white Vauxhall Astra, which had been waiting at the traffic lights.

As the car was spinning, a 32-year-old man - who was a passenger in Sorin-Mihai's car - was launched from the Polo and hit the traffic lights.

The impact caused serious injury and resulted in him having to have both of his legs amputated in hospital.

A 53-year-old man and a 50-year-old woman who had been in the Mercedes were also treated for minor whiplash.

As the investigation was ongoing, Sorin-Mihai fled to Romania and failed to appear at court in December 2020.


Greater Manchester Police officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit worked alongside the Romanian embassy and GMP's Project Advenus to obtain an extradition warrant.

He has now been sentenced after pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving without a licence, and driving without insurance.

Sorin-Mihai will spend 28 months in a young offenders institution and has been disqualified from driving for four years, which will be extended by 14 months upon his release.

Carer who turned on pensioner she was meant to be looking after in 'despicable' way

A 'despicable' carer stole almost £25,000 from a terminally ill woman she was supposed to be looking after.

Cheryl Ann Stringer used the cash to treat herself to a new oven, tumble dryer, candles, jewellery, clothing and a tablet.

The 54-year-old, of Woodstock Crescent, inWoodley , Stockport, has now been jailed for two years.

Minshull Street Crown Court heard that Anne Blackham, 82, was moved into a care home inStockportin December 2019, having been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Mrs Blackham's nephew held power of attorney along with her solicitor and had access to her online back account.

On January 23 of this year, he logged into the account and saw that £300 had been withdrawn in cash.

Upon going through her statements, he discovered that £24,840.34 worth of purchases and cash withdrawals had been made from the account between November 2020 and January 2021.

Mrs Blackham died on January 31 2021, the court heard.

A search warrant was carried out on Friday 19 February 2021 at Stringer's home, where she was arrested, and admitted purchasing a number of items using Mrs Blackham's bank card.

Stringer's assets were frozen, and she pleaded guilty atStockport Magistrates Courton 18 October 2021 to an offence offraud .

Funeral director who left bodies decomposing then preyed on grieving relatives

A 'callous and deceitful' undertaker stole more than £15,000 from grieving friends and relatives, a court heard.

Sharon Howell, manager at Kenworthy's Funeral Service inAshton-under-Lyne , defrauded six victims while being employed to arrange their loved ones' funerals.

After Howell was arrested a police and trading standards inspection of the firm's chapel of rest found it was in an 'unsafe and inhumane' condition and discovered a body that was 'clearly decomposing'.

Howell, 50, would regularly fail to collect bodies from hospital mortuaries in a 'timely' manner, the court heard.

One victim described how their loved one had been 'abandoned in a fridge' while Howell lied about them being at the chapel of rest, while another victim described being left 'in bits' after discovering her relative was still at the mortuary almost a month after her death.

Howell would also repeatedly fail to organise funeral flowers or newspaper death notices and would fail to answer phone calls or return messages, leaving relatives 'anxious and distressed'.


On one occasion she failed to send a funeral collection in aid of the British Heart Foundation to the charity.

When police searched the premises following her arrest they found a number of cheques made out to the charity which had never been sent.

Howell was jailed for 25 months after she pleaded guilty to six counts of fraud by false representation at Minshull Street Crown Court.

She also admitted six trading standards offences relating to the way she ran the Old Road funeral service.

Gang member who trashed a JD Sports

The final gang member who trashed a JD Sports in a horrifying attack has been jailed.

Cain Gordon, 20, was seen on CCTV from the store in the Manchester Fort Retail Park, entering the shop and producing a baton from his shorts.

As he entered alongside two others, Levi Murray, 19, and a third man,they proceeded to attack a group of young menin front of horrified customers, including small children, and staff.

In footage played at Manchester Crown Court, the three enter the shop in Cheetham Hill before Murray, of Salford, was handed the baton by Gordon.

Murray then swung a baton directly towards a male, before turning his attention to another man who defended himself by launching a rack of clothes over him.

The video then showed the third man appearing to throw a bottle of water on another two men before one of the victims picked up a long piece of furniture pole which he brandished at Murray.


Gordon was then seen to throw the furniture rack and pick up and throw a mannequin, with the third man pulling the arm of a mannequin to use as a club.

Murray and the third defendant were dealt with at an earlier hearing, but Gordon failed to attend and his sentencing was adjourned.

Gordon, of Crumpsall, was jailed for 22-and-a-half months and was made the subject of a criminal behaviour order banning him from going to the retail area or associating with the third defendant for three years.

Dad found hiding under caravan after smashing stolen £50k Mercedes twice

ABoltonman who smashed a stolen Mercedes-Benz twice was urged to use his time in prison wisely to become a better father.

Lucas Hughes recklessly led police on a dramatic pursuit at dangerous speeds just a day after the new £50,000 car had been stolen,LiverpoolCrown Court heard.

The 23-year-old was spotted behind the wheel of the high-powered Mercedes AMG on the M53 in Wirral, Merseyside, during the afternoon of November 3 last year.

An hour and a half later, the car was seen on theM60with false registration plates, being driven by Hughes.

After a chase in which he hit two vehicles at high speeds, Hughes was found hiding underneath a caravan and detained by police.

On his arrest, he was found to be in possession of cannabis.


The court heard that Hughes, of Sandown Crescent, Little Lever, had eight previous convictions including motoring offences, theft and assault.

Hughes was jailed for 16 months after admitting dangerous driving, handling the stolen car and possessing cannabis.

He was also banned from driving for three years and eight months.

Family friend who raped a teenager while his wife was attending Sunday church service

A teenage girl was forced to move away from her own home after being raped by a family friend.

The youngster was raped by Eric Stevenson, who attacked her whilst his wife was attending a Sunday church service, a court heard.

Despite 53-year-old Stevenson being trapped by DNA evidence, locals in the girl's neighbourhood took sides with him and she was forced to moved away as a result.

The victim said she now feels 'sick and ashamed' about what happened.

The girl, who cannot be named, spoke out in a harrowing statement as Stevenson, from Rochdale, was jailed for 12 years.

She toldMinshull Street Crown Court: "I have decided to speak so my abuser knows exactly how he made me feel because I'm sure he could see it in my eyes.

"I have been scared to open up on my feelings but it was thought it might help give me closure and look forward."


"I have lost my friends as everyone around me was forced to take sides - and nobody chose me,'' she added.

Stevenson, who joined his wife at the church after the attack, denied rape and assault but was convicted after a trial.

Smirking, violent dad who couldn't stand girlfriend dumping him after he beat her

A smirking dad threatened to burn down his girlfriend's house with her daughter inside after she dared to stand up to him.

The woman had told Mudasser Shamin she wanted nothing to do with him, after he punched her twice and bit her in a hotel room after 'plying' her with wine.

Despite her rejections, Shamin repeatedly turned up outside her work, left gifts on her car and made chilling threats.

After warning him that if he continued she'd seek a restraining order, Shamin threatened to 'burn down her house with her daughter in it' if she went through with it.

When she told him she was pressing charges for the hotel room attack, Shamin said he'd wait outside her family's home and 'kidnap' her.


Shamin claimed to be 'genuinely remorseful', but was found guilty after a trial in which he 'attacked her character'.

A judge told Shamin he believed he was 'sorry for yourself that you have been convicted'.

Shamin, from Bolton, was jailed for three years.

Thug who attacked Metrolink worker after being asked to show ticket

A thug who attacked a Metrolink ticket inspector has been jailed.

Jordan Halliday became violent after being asked for proof of his fare at Audenshaw tram stop inTameside .

The 39-year-old repeatedly assaulted the male staff member, causing him multiple injuries in what police described as an 'abhorrent assault on a man who was simply doing his job'.

Halliday, of Ridge Hill Lane, Stalybridge, was jailed for 16 weeks and ordered to pay £150 compensation to the victim after he pleaded guilty to assault and a public order offence at Tameside magistrates' court.


Pc Damian Smith of GMP's Transport Unit: "This was an abhorrent assault on a man who was simply doing his job and nobody should face the threat or fear of violence in their workplace.

"Thankfully we were able to identify the man responsible which led to the arrest and charge of Halliday. He will now spend the next few months behind bars where he'll have plenty of time to consider his heinous actions."

Cocaine and booze-fuelled woman beater who told girlfriend ‘we’re both going to die’

A serial woman beater was jailed after biting, strangling and hitting his girlfriend over the head with a vodka bottle.

During the sickening assault, Tabassam Anwar told the terrified woman: "we’re both going to die together".

Bolton Crown Courtheard that at the time of the attack, Anwar, 36, had been in a relationship with his victim for around two years.

The woman said that the relationship started "quite well" but that he started being violent as it progressed.

On September 11, Anwar, of Manchester Road,Bolton , went to his victim's address and had "obviously been drinking and taking cocaine."

Prosecution barrister Rachel Woods told the court that the pair had sex and then Anwar bit her on the left cheek.

He then strangled the woman with both hands and said, “we’re both going to die together”, before hitting her over the head with an empty vodka bottle.


Anwar was arrested a week later and pleaded guilty toassault occasioning actual bodily harm , on the day of trial.

Recorder Geoffrey Lowe jailed Anwar for 22 months.

Member of armed gang who smashed their way into home as boy, five, hid in bathroom

A five-year-old boy was 'terrorised' by an armed gang who smashed their way into his home.

Charlie Wallbank, then 17, was one of the men who stormed the property in Bury in search of cash.

He was with at least two others who forced their way into the property in the town's Dicky Bird estate, on February 17 last year.

The boy and his mother's partner barricaded themselves in a bathroom in a desperate bid to keep the intruders out.

But one burglar manhandled the man and ordered him to hand over cash.


The gang, armed with a hammer and a machete, left with £500 and a pair of Alexander McQueen trainers worth £380.

Wallbank, from Blackley, was caught after his blood was discovered in the house. He had used a hammer to smash a window.

He has now been jailed for five years and eight months.

Teenagers who lured a vulnerable man to his death at Leigh canal

Three teenagers have been locked up after a vulnerable dad was lured to a canal before being stabbed 35 times and dumped in the water.

Liam Bailey, 19 and Harry Maher, 16, were convicted of murder after a five-week trial at Manchester Crown Court, while 17-year-old Liam O'Brien was found guilty of manslaughter.

Scott Anderton, 33, was taken to a secluded spot by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, in Leigh, in the early hours of March 25.

After he was assaulted for around 30 seconds, he was left for dead in the canal, and his body was recovered by emergency services later that day.


Bailey, Maher and O'Brien scarpered, travelling to Manchester for food, but after returning to Leigh the youngsters came back to the scene twice - even filming police officers carrying out their investigations on their second visit.

Sentencing the trio on Friday, Judge Alan Conrad QC said: "This is a truly horrific case. The scale and savagery of the violence used almost defy belief.

"It is all the more shocking bearing in mind the youth of those involved."

Maher, of Green Lane, Standish, was jailed for life and must serve at least 16 years before he is eligible for parole, while O'Brien, of Schofield Street, Leigh, was jailed for 10 years.

Bailey, 19, of Diamond Street, Leigh, had already pleaded guilty to murdering Mr Anderton and was handed a life sentence of at least 23 years four months.

Bailey and O'Brien were also sentenced for their involvement in an assault on September 1 last year, which left a man with serious injuries, including a traumatic brain injury.

Man who filmed himself raping woman

A man was jailed for a 'shocking and horrific' series of sex attacks on a woman.

Bartosz Godlewski, 39, filmed himself raping the victim, a court heard.

He's now been locked up for more than 10 years after the woman reported her ordeal to police.

Godlewski, of Canterbury Gardens, Eccles, Salford, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to two counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.


He was sentenced by a judge sitting at Manchester's Minshull Street Crown Court to 10 years and four months, Greater Manchester Police said.

The force said he was also issued with a lifetime restraining order.

Teenager who raped 12-year-old girl - then told her he'd get people to 'do stuff to her' if she told anyone

A teenager has been jailed for four years after admitting to raping a 12-year-old girl.

William Lee Cooper was 17-years-old when he was introduced to his victim on Snapchat, Bolton Crown Court heard.

The pair spoke and met up atAthertonrailway station on December 7 2019, prosecution barrister Adam Lodge told the court.

Cooper, of Briscoe Lane,Newton Heath , asked the girl if they could meet up again and they did on December 11.

They went to a field close to a primary school in Atherton where Cooper threw her phone out of reach, pinned her down, ripped her leggings and raped her in attack that she said lasted up to five minutes.

As she fled, Cooper shouted: "Come back. Don't tell anyone or I'll get people to do stuff to you."


The girl reported the attack to her school's pastoral manager six days later.

Cooper, now aged 19, pleaded guilty to rape of a child under 13.

Recorder Sarah Johnston sentenced Cooper to four years in a young offender institution.

Crooks who robbed four shops in 20 minutes during insane machete rampage

Two masked men terrified workers of four convenience stores in a shocking 20-minute armed robbery spree.

Lewis Creighton, 27, split one shopkeeper's head open with a machete while his accomplice Joshua Anderson, 19, helped him to rob a shop in Lowton.

The pair emptied the till and stole three bottles of vodka from Mini Market, in Newton Road.

It was just one of four robberies carried out by Creighton and Anderson on the morning of August 14, prosecution barrister Rachel Widdicombe told Bolton Crown Court.

In one attack, before the pair entered the store, Creighton hit the windscreen of a car with his machete and said to the person inside: "Don't be a f***ing hero."

At another store, a man had to be taken to hospital for stitches to his finger and head after Creighton attacked him with his machete.


Both men pleaded guilty to four counts of robbery. Creighton also pleaded guilty to possession of a bladed article.

Creighton was sentenced to seven years and four months imprisonment, while Anderson was jailed for six years.

'Beast' who raped and assaulted child over period of eight years

A victim of rape and sexual assault has spoken out after her attacker was jailed for 17 years.

Martin Thorley, of Sale, repeatedly raped and assaulted the girl when she was aged between 3 and 11 and when he was a teenager.

He would take the then-child to the bathroom or his bedroom and abuse her, and then take her downstairs, giving her ‘sweets and ice cream’,Manchester Crown Courtheard.

Thorley, 45, was found guilty of two offences of indecent assault and three offences of rape following a retrial.

The victim, now 35, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has spoken of her ‘overwhelming’ relief now that Thorley is behind bars.

“I’ve waited for this since I was a child,” she said.

“What I have done and overcome - it’s just unbelievable. I just don’t think it’s hit me yet.”


Thorley, of Broomville Avenue, was jailed for 17 years with an extended licence period of one year and was put on the Sex Offenders Register.

Pervert tried to sexually assault woman after inviting her into flat for microwave meal

A man who preyed on vulnerable elderly women has been jailed for 14 years for attempted rape and four counts of sexual assault.

Harry Hankinson, 73, was found guilty of the offences by a jury at Bolton Crown Court.

The court heard how in February, 2017, while Hankinson was a patient at a hospital, a nursing assistant was completing her ward observation when she looked through the window into Hankinson's room and saw that he was forcing another patient - a woman in her 60s - to perform a sex act on him.

In May, 2017, Hankinson, of Butler Court, Miles Platting, invited a woman in her 60s over to his flat for a microwave meal.

As she was waiting for the meal to cook, Hankinson pressed himself up against her back before touching her inappropriately.

The woman elbowed him away and poured her drink over him before leaving.


In July 2020, Hankinson visited a woman in her 70s in her flat before sexually assaulting her.

The woman struggled to get away before stabbing Hankinson in the hand with a fork she was holding. After being disturbed by a neighbour knocking on the door, Hankinson hurriedly left.